1. LEARN MORE ABOUT ABORTION LAWS IN YOUR STATE
Following the overturn of Roe v. Wade, many states have abortion restrictions or bans in place. Abortion is legal in some states but with all of the recent and upcoming changes in our abortion laws, it can be confusing.
Call 866-406-9327 to talk to coaches that can help you clearly understand the abortion laws in each state and what they mean for you. We can answer any questions you have and help you learn more about your options.
2. GET A FREE ULTRASOUND AT A CENTER NEAR YOU
An ultrasound can confirm a viable pregnancy and estimate how far along in pregnancy you are.1 This is important information to have before getting an abortion. An ultrasound can cost an additional $200-$400 dollars if it’s not covered by insurance. Our centers offer ultrasounds to confirm pregnancy free of charge and we never ask for your insurance. Call 866-406-9327 to get connected to free ultrasound services near you.
Is your pregnancy an ectopic pregnancy?
About two percent of pregnancies are ectopic.2 An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a pregnancy lodges outside the uterus. The most common location is the Fallopian tube. It can cause the tube to burst resulting in life-threatening internal bleeding.3
A positive pregnancy test means there is pregnancy hormone in your body, but it can’t determine if the pregnancy is growing, or if it’s in the right place. Women with an ectopic pregnancy will have a positive pregnancy test.4
An ultrasound exam will show if there is a pregnancy inside your uterus, or not. This knowledge could save your life.
It’s important to confirm your pregnancy with an ultrasound before considering any abortion method.
Find out if your pregnancy is viable
Among pregnancies that are identified, about 15% end naturally in miscarriage.5 Natural miscarriages are frequently completed without the need for medical intervention. Find out for sure before going through a costly procedure. Get an ultrasound exam.
Can you take the abortion pill?
Before taking the abortion pill, you will need to know exactly how far along you are and a few other things as well. We can help you learn more about your pregnancy and if the abortion pill is an option for you. We can refer you for our free ultrasound services to confirm your pregnancy. Here are 5 Things to Know Before Taking the Abortion Pill.
Women with any of the following should not take the abortion pill (mifepristone plus misoprostol):6
- If you currently have an intrauterine device (IUD) in your uterus.
If there is a concern that the pregnancy is outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy and can be life-threatening. Learn about the risk factors and signs of an ectopic pregnancy.7
- If your pregnancy is past 10 weeks. The FDA has only approved the abortion pill for up to 10 weeks from the LMP. Taking the abortion pill later in pregnancy is associated with increased risk of complications, such as an incomplete abortion or severe bleeding.8 When this happens, more abortive pills or surgery may be necessary to complete the procedure or stop the bleeding.9
- If you have certain medical problems including: bleeding disorders, severe liver or kidney disease, known cardiac disease, or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- If you take certain medications including blood thinners or steroids.
- If you are allergic to the medicines used.
What abortion procedure is available to you?
The gestational age of the pregnancy determines the types of abortion procedures typically used. If you can’t have a medical abortion, or don’t prefer that method, a surgical procedure may be an option. Find out how far along in pregnancy you are through a free ultrasound to help determine your abortion procedure options. Call 866-406-9327 to speak with one of our coaches standing by ready to help you.
All of our services are 100% free and confidential. We exist to provide accurate medical information and support to women and men facing an unplanned pregnancy.
2. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. (2018, March). Practice Bulletin # 193: Tubal ectopic pregnancy. https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-bulletin/articles/2018/03/tubal-ectopic-pregnancy
3. Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
5. Dugas C, Slane VH. Miscarriage. [Updated 2022 Jun 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532992/
6. Mayo Clinic. (2022, July 29). Medical abortion: Before Using. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion/about/pac-20394687
Physician’s Desk Reference. (2022). Korlym (mifepristone) Contraindications dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Korlym-mifepristone-2928#11
Physician’s Desk Reference Guide. (2022). Cytotec (misoprostol) dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Cytotec-misoprostol-1044.430#11
7. Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
8. Mentula MJ, Niinimäki M, Suhonen S, Hemminki E, Gissler M, Heikinheimo O. Immediate adverse events after second trimester medical termination of pregnancy: results of a nationwide registry study. Hum Reprod. 2011 Apr;26(4):927-32. doi: 10.1093/humrep/der016. Epub 2011 Feb 11. PMID: 21317416.
All of our services are 100% free and confidential. We exist to provide accurate medical information and support to women and men facing an unplanned pregnancy. Our pregnancy centers do not offer or refer for pregnancy terminations or birth control. Information is provided as an educational service and should not be relied on as a substitute for professional and/or medical advice.